#Browse More links

TFWP and IMP- which one is for you? 

We are living in an era where cut-throat competition exists in every sector. Therefore, people are adding in-demand skills to catch their dream job and stand out. For career growth and better exposure, people also move out to attain international experience. Compiling international work experience with your current work experience can be a stepping stone in your career growth.

Candidates holding international work experience possess a higher chance of securing a high position in an organization with a hefty salary and ultimate perks. Countries like Canada invite candidates from across the world through different programs to join their workforce and add some valuable international work experience.

There are various programs via which candidates can acquire a work permit to work for a specified duration. Canada holds more than 100 programs through which you can grab a work permit. However, all the programs are categorized into TFWP and IMP.

TFWP- Temporary Foreign Worker Program

IMP- International Mobility Program

These two prominent programs allow foreign candidates to get a work permit for Canada. Although both of these two programs have different eligibility requirements, objectives, and policies. Before applying for a work permit under any listed programs, check which program portrays your requirements.

What are the key differences between TFWP and IMP? 

The core objective of both programs is to help the Canadian labor market to fill vacant positions and promote economic growth. Still, there are some differences that you need to jot down before you apply for a work permit under any program-


  • TFWP is the acronym for the Temporary Foreign Worker program.
  • The primary goal of this TFWP program is to help the Canadian job market to fill the labor gap by hiring overseas workers.
  • Employers can hire foreign workers via this program only when no Canadian is available to fill the vacant position.
  • Before hiring an overseas worker, the first opportunity will be served to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
  • Also, the programs only aid the employers present in Canada to get them the right candidate for the vacant position.
  • Canadian employers abroad can’t consume the assistance of this program. This program is mainly focused on in-home needs.


  • IMP stands for International Mobility Program.
  • The core intent of this program is to help Canadian employers hire temporary foreign workers.
  • However, to get the overseas worker under this program, employers won’t require to attain an LMIA.
  • Conversely, employers hiring a foreign worker via TSFP will be mandated to get the LMIA.
  • Another major objective of this program is to vitalize Bilateral and Multilateral ties of Canada with other countries.
  • This program also assists Canadian employers abroad by building this program with Bilateral and Multilateral ties with other countries.
  • An example of Bilateral and Multilateral ties with other countries is CUSMA.

CUSMA: CUSMA is an act enacted by Canada by eliminating the NAFTA act. CUSMA came into effect in 2020. The main motive of this program is to reinforce and develop the strong economic relations of Canada with Mexico and the USA. CUSMA aims to promote liberalized trade between these three nations by diminishing the barriers.

Do both programs need the LMIA? 

LMIA(Labour Market Impact Assessment) is a document that Canadian employers must get before hiring skilled foreign workers. This document proves that the candidate you are hiring from different nations will not affect the Canadian workforce negatively. Also, employers tried finding employees within the country, but none were available to fill the vacant position.

TFWP: Any Canadian employer planning to hire a skilled foreign worker via TFWP will be required to obtain the LMIA. ESDC (Employment and Social Development Canada) is responsible for issuing LMIA. On the other hand, IRCC plays a role in processing and approving the work permit application.

IMP: Any employer planning to hire an overseas worker via the IMP program will be exempted from obtaining LMIA. However, IRCC will be responsible for processing and approving the work permit application. If the work permit application aligns with the eligibility requirements of the IRCC, the application will get approved in the first go.

What kind of work permit do you get under these programs? 

There are predominantly two types of work permits that exist; open and employer-specific work permits. Both programs issue different kinds of work permits. Therefore, you should apply under the program that stands in line with your requirement.

TFWP- If you are applying for a work permit via this program, you will get an employer-specific work permit. In an employer-specific work permit, you will be working under the specific employer throughout your stay in Canada. Also, you will not be eligible to change your employer under this work permit. You are mandated to work under the employer who provided you with LMIA and “work permit.”

IMP- Applying for a work permit via this program enables you to obtain both work permits. However, you should choose the one that meets your requirements. If you choose employer-specific, you are compelled to work under a single employer throughout your stay. On the contrary, if you plan to opt for an open work permit, you can work under any Canadian employer during your stay.

About the author

At 𝐃𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐜 𝐆𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐩, we help you keep your dreams alive, no matter how high they soar!

Dynamic Group is a diversified conglomerate with human resources, education, and immigration interests. We started in 1977 and are based in the United Arab Emirates.

Our mission is to provide our clients with the best possible solutions to their business needs by combining our industry expertise with innovative technological advancements and strategic partnerships.

In Dynamic Group, we have a fully-licensed Resettlement, and the Global Mobility service provider has a panel of CICC registered representatives and Immigration Experts.

We pride ourselves on being committed to providing our clients with personalized service that goes beyond expectations. Dynamic Group is a one-stop solution for you.

At Dynamic Group, we have a fully-licensed Resettlement and Global Mobility service provider panel of CICC registered representatives and Immigration Experts. With more than 15 years of combined experience in immigration, our staff has the expertise to guide you through the application procedure.

We can schedule a session for you to determine the best form of assistance for you and your family. Make call us right away at +91-11-41170411 or email us at consultation@dss-hr.com.

A part of the 1500+ people strong Dynamic group, our sister company Dynamic World Education Community focuses on Study Abroad, by helping students find the right education (www.dynamicwec.net), Dynamic immigration focuses on providing immigration services (https://www.dss-hr.com/canada) to families wanting to move to Canada & Altudo focuses on software development and enhancing digital customer experiences (https://www.altudo.co )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *